Saturday, October 2, 2010

THE wedding | Mel and Jose Luis


 It was all Jose's fault.

Melissa was on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic last summer; Jose Luis was the translator. Even though he was two years younger then her, they still connected on a deep level during those 4 weeks she spent there. Mel had to say goodbye to him, not knowing that she'd be back for another month that fall.

But God knew. 

By the time she left again that fall - they were in love. And when he came to visit back in March to meet our family, we all knew it was only a matter of time. 

Mel and Jose Luis were married September 11, 2010 on a gorgeous day in our backyard. They couldn't have been more blessed.

First of all, let me clear up any confusion. I was incredibly honored to be the photographer for their wedding, as well as stand up with Melissa as one of her bridesmaids. Multi-tasking is not something I do well, so I was a little anxious. Just a little.
But I think I managed. At least, Melissa thought so.... :)


Becky, of course, did all our hair and make up. She's amazing.



 Ok, so think she's amazing.
Mel wasn't too sure. 





Mel is always low key. Chill, go with the flow, and don't freak out. 
Her wedding day was no exception.



In fact, I think she was rather excited. 
Hmm... imagine that.



Simple dress. Simple earrings. Simple Melissa.


Awesome shoes.... awesome rings.... 
Awesome.


I had my wonderful assistants Josh and Nellie help me out with the shooting. I love the interactions Josh got with the guys...


Watching my sister get dressed for her wedding day in mom and dad's room was pretty emotional.


We did a first look. I LOVE first looks. In order to get all the pictures done with right away at the beginning of the day (with much less stress on the bride and groom), they saw each other before the ceremony. 

(Mel, you're such a creeper...)


Jose thought she looked pretty cute.

(LOVE the lighting on this one...)
Being the lead photographer while being in the pictures was pretty challenging. I arranged the people, set up the shot, handed the camera to Josh, and told him good luck.
I think it worked.
But then I got jealous and grabbed it again. Just to shoot JL and Mel. :)




(You really have no idea how many mosquitoes there were. Pretty sure we just about died.)

The funnest part about being in the bridal party was that we were all family - and all the couples were married couples. Well.... almost.








Why am I so lucky? I was so blessed to work with such a hot couple.

Mel LOVED her colors and how they all fit together. I did too.
Apparently, the boys liked the flowers just as much as we did.
Ahuh. Good family times.


After hanging out with the bridal party for a bit, I took Mel and Jose downtown Delano to recreate some of their engagement shoot
Remember this one?
And this one
What a beautiful bride.
Just seconds after this shot - a pizza delivery truck pulled up to deliver pizza to this door. I had no idea someone actually lived there!!
Back at our house, Mel and dad had some time to hang out before the wedding. 
Priceless shot. 

The GORGEOUS flowers were done by Erin Anderson - she's a friend of my sister Becky and did a beautiful job. If you ever need flowers, call her! :) (or call me, and I'll give you her number!)
My assistants did a phenomenal job shooting the ceremony. These next few make me cry. 
That look.
That kiss. 

That hug.
Those hands.
Praise the Lord that dad was well enough to speak at the wedding. It was the most powerful wedding sermon I'd ever heard. 
I think I'll remember it forever.
Instead of a unity candle, feet washing, or mixing sand together, Mel and Jose just knelt to pray. 


Then the the bridal party (our family) prayed over them.
Then they kissed.
And just like that they were married. 


We headed over to the reception lodge to get some shots of just the two of them.





Rawr.


The reception was beautiful! The food, decorations, people. Everything.

(Once again, Erin did a fabulous job on the flowers...) 


And instead of dinging glasses, we rang the dinner triangle to  make them kiss. 
Pretty sure I rang it every two minutes.


Just because...


Because they're married now.


4 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Amanda! Laughs, tears, inspiration all in one... you're pretty good at that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! :)

    I can see through your lens that it was a wonderful wedding. Im sooo happy for both Jose Luis & Melissa.

    Thanks for uploading this great pictures.

    Greetings from Santo Domingo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wao my man... you're great. Melissa you're very very pretty. Thanks for that wonderful pictures. I'm so happy for both; God Bless You. Chócala ahí Mi Hermano ==> Plaaaahh. F.E.L.I.C.I.D.A.D.E.S.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails